On May 5 Teresa and I attended a panel discussion at the American Visionary Arts Museum entitled: Arts, Creativity and Other Outrageous Ideas. The museum passed out the following list of education goals and the founder and director if the AVAM, Rebecca Alban Hoffberger, spoke about her vision and the museum's definition of "art" which she likened to the experience of primitive cultures who do not have a word for "art." Instead they had words for describing something well-made or beautifully performed - she challenged the audience to think of anything we do as being an art and of teaching as an art form. Rebecca and several other speakers spoke about a hope that visitors to the event and to the museum would leave inspired to find their own voice and explore their creativity.
Education Goals from the American Visionary Art Museum
1. Expand the definition of a worthwhile life.
2. Engender respect for and delight in the gifts of others.
3. Increase awareness of the wide variety of choices available in life for all...particularly students.
4. Encourage each individual to build upon his or heer own special knowledge and inner strengths.
5. Promote the use of innate intelligence, intuition, self-exploration, and creative self-reliance.
6. Confirm the great hunger for finding out just what each of us can do best, in our own voice, at any age.
7. Empower the individual to choose to do that something really, really well.